Stanley J. Samorajczyk
Mr. Samorajczyk can also be reached at our Alexandria area office:
616 N. Washington Street
Alexandria, VA 22314
Representation of a major insurance company with extensive exposure for asbestos claims. Negotiated "insurance neutral" provisions in reorganization plans confirmed in the Armstrong World Industries, Inc. and Federal Mogul Corp. Bankruptcy cases.
Debtors counsel in the successful chapter 11 reorganization of Criimi Mae, Inc., a commercial mortgage company structured as a REIT and the leading player in the commercial mortgage backed securities (CMBS) market.
Debtors counsel in the successful billion dollar chapter 11 reorganization of Toshoku America, Inc., one of the world's largest purchasers of unprocessed foods and commodities. Client was forced into bankruptcy by the Tokyo insolvency filing of its parent, Toshoku Ltd., Japan's largest trading company. Case involved extensive multi-party negotiations in the U.S. and Japan with numerous suppliers, banks, government agencies and the court appointed Trustees in the Japanese insolvency case.
Counsel to a lender with more than $1.3 billion in loans to a group of financially troubled utilities in chapter 11, leading to the ultimate restructuring of some loans and the liquidation of a portion of the collateral.
Debtors counsel in chapter 11 case of a 120 physician medical clinic which resulted in acquisition of the clinic by a national hospital operator without interruption of patient care.
Counsel to the Canadian Government in protecting critical assets of the financially troubled prime contractor on the construction of the Northumberland Strait Bridge between New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island.
Trustee’s counsel in the successful chapter 11 reorganization of the Delaware & Hudson Railway Co., the oldest railroad in continuous operation in the U.S.
Counsel to the Japanese parent of a U.S. manufacturer of sophisticated computer chip assembly line equipment. Negotiated terms in the chapter 11 plan of the subsidiary which provided the parent with the world wide protection against claims relating to the subsidiary’s business operations.
Pro bono representation of the financially troubled Washington Free Clinic in its restructuring and acquisition by another clinic which resulted in uninterrupted medical care for thousands of homeless and indigent residents of Washington, D.C.
Representation of a large mortgage insurance company in pursuing claims for extraordinary losses from a real estate development scheme. Subsequently served as co-counsel in the client's rehabilitation proceeding under CA law.
Representation of National Department Store Chain in the $987 million bankruptcy auction purchase of two leading regional Department Store Groups.
Areas of Practice
- Financial Restructuring
- Business Bankruptcy
- Creditor Rights
- Creditor Representation
- District of Columbia, 1968
- Virginia, 1970
- U.S. District Court of the District of Columbia, 1968
- U.S. Court of Appeals District of Columbia Circuit, 1968
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit, 1970
- Catholic University of America, Columbus School of Law, Washington, District of Columbia
- J.D. - 1967
- Georgetown University, Washington, District of Columbia
- B.A. - 1964
- “Chapter 11 Reorganization Flaws” – Bankruptcy Practice in VA, VA State Bar, 2004, 2009
- “Chapter 11 as a Creative Business Tool”, Virginia Lawyer, 1992
- Mid Atlantic Institute on Bankruptcy and Reorganization Practice, Co-Chair, VA State Bar, 1985 - Present
- Coping with the Nightmare of Bankruptcy – Practical Considerations From the Perspective of the National Big Box Retail Center and its Landlord, International Council of Shopping Centers Seminar, 2000
- The Rule of Bankruptcy and Reorganization in a Free Market System, – International Business and Trade Summer Law Program, Jagiellonian University, Krakow, Poland, 1994
Honors and Awards
- Best Lawyers in America - Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law, 1993 - 2014
- Chambers USA Leading Lawyers for Business, 2004 - Present
- Who’s Who Legal USA – Insolvency & Restructuring
- International Who’s Who of Insolvency & Restructuring Lawyers, 2011
- Corporate Counsel’s Top Lawyers, 2008
- Super Lawyers Corporate Counsel Edition, 2011
- Top Attorneys in Washington D.C., Metro Area, 2011
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American College of Bankruptcy, Regent, 2006-2010, Fellow 1991-Present
- Best Lawyers in America, 1993 - Present
- Chambers USA – Leading Lawyers for Business, 2004 - Present
- American Bar Association
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Virginia State Bar
- District of Columbia Bar
- Washington Lawyers Committee for Civil Rights and Urban Affairs
Past Employment Positions
- Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld, Practice Manager, 1992 - 2008
- Hazel & Thomas, Partner, 1979 - 1992
Pro Bono Activities
- Washington Lawyers Committee for Civil Rights and Urban Affairs, Board of Directors - 2005-2007, Co-Chair of Public Education Project - 2004-2007, Trustee 2007-Present
- Bankruptcy Task Force of the D.C. Circuit Judicial Conference Committee on Pro Bono Legal Services, Former Member
- Akin Gump - Chair of Washington Office Pro Bono Committee (numerous Pro Bono Service Awards)